I had breakfast last week with Tom Frey and Gay Mills, head of the Genessee Land Trust. I learned all sorts of things I didn’t know, but most importantly, the Genessee Valley Land Trust is all about preserving green places, and connecting them to people and neighborhoods.
According to their newsletter, their new strategic plan outlines five conservation initiatives
- Create a ribbon of protected critical habitat and countryside near the shore of Lake Ontario
- Link our urban neighborhoods to the natural places of the City of Rochester and Beyond
- Partner with towns and farmers to extend the quilt of protected thriving farms
- Preserve the best and uncommon natural habitats
- Create greenways for wildlife between preserved habitats
I also learned that they share offices with the Rochester Area Community Foundation….